Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summertime, and the Grillin's Easy...

In the summer, we grill everything. If it can fit on the grill without falling through, it will generally end up in the barbeque. And ever since I heard of it a year or so ago, I've been on a mission to make grilled pizza. I came across the opportunity to do so this weekend, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

First, I made sure the fire extinguisher was closeby (I don't trust myself--I'm a bit of a spazz)

We had a lot of vegetables, so I decided to just go ahead and grill them off before they went bad. Here, I have red, yellow and orange bell peppers, japanese eggplants, an onion and zucchini.


Slice up the veggies, lie them down on a baking sheet , brush or drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt (we use kosher salt) abd fresh cracked black pepper. Flip them over, brush with oil, salt and pepper again.

Now, put the veggies on the grill until marked and cooked to a somewhat soft texture.






Do the same for the bell peppers:



Once the pepper cools down, peel off the charred skin (it comes off very easily) and then slice the bell peppers. Set aside with other veggies.

You need to find yourself a package of pizza dough. Most grocery stores have it.


Cut the dough in half (one package should get you two 6- inch- to 8-inch pizzas, depending on how thin/thick you want the crust). Flour your work area and knead/roll out the dough to about 6-8 inches.

Brush one side with olive oil.


Throw it on the grill on medium heat, oil side down. Once it's on the grill, brush the top of the dough with olive oil.


As the bottom starts to brown, you'll notice a bunch of bubbles come up on the surface of the dough.

Once the bottom is nice and toasty, you can flip the dough over and start building your pizza.


You can add whatever toppings you want. I started with marinara sauce (in a jar, the horror!)

Then add your toppings. Here, I put a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese. I preferred goat cheese but for some reason it's disappeared from our fridge. I think PapaPhat had something to do with its disappearance.

Then I topped that of with some chicken breast and grilled vegetables. I added another sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and some parmesan cheese.


I cook it all on the grill until the bottom is niced and crispy, and the cheese has melted. I usually put the cover on the grill down for a few minutes to get the cheese melty.

Total time for this meal, no counting the time it took to grill the vegetables and chicken, about 15-20 minutes.

Will you just look at that beautiful pizza? It is yummy yummy yummy in my tummy. Plus: it feeds two!


1 comment:

  1. I like Trader Joe's pizza dough. Super cheap makes it more delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Speak up, phatkids!